Pat Walsh IT Services
- My name is Pat Walsh, I’m a freelance IT & Testing Specialist, based in the London area. I can work with you on projects of all sizes, onsite and online.
- Completed projects have included working with Storythings on digital production projects, where I have performed a mix of iOS App Testing, Android App Testing and also website testing. In one project, they partnered with Pulse Films to produce the digital side of the Days To Live project for Diesel Timeframes. Another project involved Storythings producing the American Interior app, part of Gruff Rhys’ multi-platform project.
- App testing projects often include testing both the iOS app and the Android app, such as for the VPAR golf scoring app. And in some cases, a test project can include every platform, such as for the Composed music streaming service, which included testing the website, iOS app, Android app and Sonos app.
- I also run TesterJobs.co – the UK software testing jobs website.
- As an advocate of Rapid Software Testing, I’ve twice completed the Rapid Software Testing Applied online course/experience by James Bach. Its a mixture of training in some Rapid Software Testing elements and then putting them into practice on a real-life test, which could be a website or an application.
- In addition to testing, I create WordPress websites for small and medium-size enterprises and completed projects have included a site for Kingston Valdes, who provide Charity Support Services in London and also a portfolio site for Andrew Birley, a colleague of mine. Also created the FutureLens.com website.
Some example Projects
Composed music streaming
- This project involved performing QA for a classical music streaming service, across multiple platforms – Web, iOS App, Android App and Sonos App.
- This project involved working in an Agile team, using Scrum methods – including daily standups, sprint planning sessions and sprint retrospectives.
- Testing was across a range of iOS and Android devices, and across the main browsers
- Testing included acceptance testing for new features, regression testing and smoke testing, across all the different platforms.
- Types of testing performed included Exploratory Testing, End-to-End Testing, Functional Testing, System Testing, plus checking for UX/Usability issues.
- Pivotal Tracker was used to keep track of user stories, features, issues and QA work across the different projects.
- Slack was used for team comms.
Days To Live
- On this project, I performed iOS App Testing for the Days To Live iOS App working with the Developers, Designers and Project Manager.
- Testing included Smoke Testing, Functional Testing, Exploratory Testing and testing the Social Media integration of the App, which directly posts to Facebook and Twitter.
- This involved creating and constantly updating Test Plans and Test Results documentation.
- TestFlight was used for App distribution.
- I also performed Website Testing on the graphically stunning HTML5 Days To Live questionnaire website
- This project involved working online and also onsite at Pulse Films offices in Shoreditch.
- This project involves Website Testing, to ensure the website is working after system changes and updates, making sure customers can still order products from the website and that the website displays and functions correctly.
- Testing performed on Windows, Mac OSX, iPad, iPhone and Android devices, using Chrome, IE, Firefox and Safari browsers.
- Testing types include End-to-End Testing, Cross-Browser Testing, Exploratory Testing, Mobile Commerce Testing and Functional Testing.
- Google Analytics used to check website analytics and prioritise testing on the different platforms and browsers.
- Basecamp used for Project Management and communications.
- Website testing of an HTML5 web app of a digital reading experience
- The play under test was called The Noise
- Testing focussed on the reading experience – areas such as lighting effects, scenes, sound effects
- Tablets were the main target devices, so testing was done on iOS and Android tablets
- Testing also across main browsers on desktop (Windows and Mac OSX)
- Functional Testing, End-to-End Testing
- Checking for UX/Usability issues
- Test Plan and Test Results in Excel
See the full list of Projects
I’m also a member of the Association for Software Testing which is a professional non-profit association that is dedicated to advancing software testing, providing training resources, events and a community for testers.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of IT topics, including various testing areas, new technology, development, Mac OSX issues, iOS, Apps, Software, various books, useful websites, events, Android, Java, ISEB/ISTQB, Windows, Python, Selenium and much more.
My website is powered by WordPress and hosted on one.com, both of which I can highly recommend. It’s now using the excellent Avada theme.
I’m also a great fan of Dropbox, as it enables me to work seamlessly between PC and Mac systems, and also access documents on iPhone and iPad.