How a Website Testing Project works
In order to define the project, we can discuss requirements via email, phone call, Skype call, Slack chat, or, for a longer-term project in the London area, an onsite meeting.
The aim here is to agree what the testing should focus on and on what browsers and devices the testing should be carried out on.
Other factors to consider are where issues are to be raised and how test results are reported.
Also, scheduling of the testing date(s) is key and you can view my Bookings Calendar to check availability.
Issues are raised as they are found, in the method agreed: this could be in your own issue tracker – such as JIRA, DoneDone, RedMine etc – or within an Excel document, or perhaps a Google doc, or, where applicable, within my own hosted JIRA issue tracker.
A Test Summary Report includes sections such as Overview, Main Findings, Gap Analysis, Deliverables, Testing Types Performed, Test Browsers & Devices, Bugs Statistics and Summary of Main Bugs.
- * Working with Developers, Designers, Project Managers.
- * Testing can be focussed on the most important functionality or can be generalised, to cover all areas of the website.
- * Testing can be added in phases, as new functionality is developed and available for testing e.g. on a sprint/iteration/release basis.
- * Most cost-effective time for testing.
- * Find Bugs before website is released to the public.
- * All functionality can be tested at this stage, and emphasis can be given to certain functionality depending on priorities.
- * Still a cost-effective time for testing.
- * Testing at and around the go-live stage, to find any last-minute issues
- * Testing new Features and Functionality
- * Finding Bugs in enhanced websites
Some of the Website Testing Projects I’ve worked on
- Universal Music – Composed music streaming service – App & Web Testing Pat Walsh 2017-05-15T13:05:01+00:00
- Mouth to Mouth Agency – WordPress Website Healthcheck Pat Walsh 2017-04-20T13:24:17+00:00
Desktop Platforms and Browsers I have tested websites on
Website Sectors I have tested in
- Crowdfunding – Property, PropTech
- Diner, Restaurant
- Architecture, Building, Property
- Drinks Supplies
- Web Comics
- Online Store
- Auction (Property)
- Fashion, Clothes
- Hair & Beauty Products
- Soft Drinks
- Management Consultancy
- Local Government Information
- Digital Agencies
- Vehicle Financing
- B2B Services
- Online Storytelling
- Language Learning
- Transport Information
- Insurance, Insurance Quotes
- Charity Funding
- Fitness Products
Website Testing Project in Detail – Home Furniture Range
- Website Testing of the Home Furniture Range ecommerce retail website.
- Working to a specific customer brief to test the sales process, from Google search results through to the website, including test orders and payments.
- Testing performed included Functional Testing, End-to-End Testing, Cross-Browser Testing, Mobile Device Testing plus providing feedback on UX/UI/Usability and SEO.
- Tested across all the main browsers on Windows and Mac platforms and on mobile devices (iOS and Android)
- All issues tracked in my own JIRA issue tracker.
- After the testing phase, HFR IT team began fixing the issues and I carried out some retesting, to check and close the issues in JIRA.
Website Testing related activities & technologies
Featured Posts From The Blog
What is TesterJobs.co? TesterJobs.co is a UK software testing jobs website I have recently launched - it's currently in beta phase - where testers can search for jobs and employers can post jobs to find [...]
While trying out the updated Firefox browser - Firefox Quantum - one of the handiest features I've found is the built-in screenshots functionality. I'd read briefly about it at https://screenshots.firefox.com and was expecting it to be [...]
Note: If you're new to Charles Proxy, you may need to read my earlier post on Using Charles Proxy for bandwidth throttling testing to get started on this. Charles Proxy really is a neat box [...]
Note: If you’re new to Charles Proxy, you may need to read my earlier post on Using Charles Proxy for bandwidth throttling testing to get started on this. Update: There is now also a Charles Proxy iOS [...]