Announced on October 15 2014, Android L / Android 5.0 is officially called Android Lollipop.
It brings a new design – called Material Design – and Android Runtime (ART) replaces Dalvik, for improved app performance and battery usage.
Other features include:
- updated notification system
- new lockscreen
- new multi-tasking
- 5000 new APIs for use by developers
- new navigation icons are a triangle, circle and square
- security features such as personal unlocking
- will support 64-bit processors and support the ART software library
Will be available first to Google’s new Nexus devices – Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 – then other devices to follow.
More info on Android.com