Having recently relaunched my website to use a new WordPress theme – the excellent Avada Theme – I thought I’d add a guide to doing this on my blog, to help out anyone else planning this.
Part 5 – Going Live
- Backup / Export your existing content – pages, posts, db, WordPress files etc.
- Announce that your website is down for maintenance and will be relaunched soon.
- Could use Twitter, Newsletter, email, Facebook post etc.
- Turn on Maintenance Mode.
- Make the required changes to your site. If you’ve used a test system for developing the changes, it could just be a matter of copying and pasting page content from test system to your live site. Or you could be copying and pasting content from Word or similar software.
- Test as you go along, using a couple of different browsers (can login to WP if use correct URL)
- Address any issues found in this testing, where possible.
- Keep track of any additional changes required or ideas for changes and new content which occur whilst making your changes.
- At this point, if using an agile/iterative approach, you may need to review your planning for the different phases and cycles, depending on how well this first phase goes.
Part 6 – After Relaunch – has now been Published.
*** There is now a downloadable version of this content.